Powered By Blogger

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Good for the Soul




With everything that is going on with Haiti I have thought about charity and how it effects a person's self esteem and life. Giving back is good for the soul, and it makes you feel better about yourself which gives you a better self image which we men and women always should have. One of the ways I have decided to give back is to be a captain of the national Relay for Life event held in my hometown. Last fall I lost a very close friend to cancer, and it was a hard time for me. I myself also was very lucky to have the cancer I could have had found early. When I was 19 I had a mole in my belly button and the doctors did a biopsy and determined that I was in the last developmental stage of Melanoma before it became Stage 1. I feel very blessed for it to have been found early. Because of the loss of my friend and knowing others who have survived I decided to start the team. I feel that giving back is going to make me appreciate what I have more. I know that not everyone has time to host a team or go out and volunteer on a regular basis, but even giving a little of your money to a charity will help. Think about this the next time you get a latte, which by the way I love so I understand the need, that you can spend that $4 on a charity and help someone who may not be able to help themselves. I have a few charities that are dear to my heart as well, I think that right now we can all afford to forgo that $4 coffee or $20 lunch and give a little money to Haiti right now since they are in desperate need. Here is a list of a few charities you can get involved in and their websites.


For the person who likes to be hands on:


Habitat For Humanity is a great organization to get involved it, I have done this and the hands on experience is great. Find a local chapter and get involved.




For the person who likes to be active:


There are several organizations that host walks for the support, the one dearest to me is the American Cancer Society and the Relay for Life. You can create a team for a local event or join a team.





For the person who likes to donate money:


There are so many organizations that you can donate money to. There are local orginizations and national ones. Also the above orginizations accept money. And your cities local foodbank is a great way to donate.


The American Red cross is wonderful to donate to and they are always in need of money, especially since the earthquate in Haiti




1 in 150 children are effectd with Autism, working with Mentally Retarted Adults this is a cause dear to me. Donating money furthers research and knowledge is power




Also if you are not able to donate money you can always give blood every quarter it is always needed.



Remember giving to others will warm the soul, and you can always just give by helping someone out with their groceries, giving a penny at the gas station, and smiling to everyone. It will make you love yourself more.

No comments:

Post a Comment